Tuesday 3 February 2015

Monthly Reading List

Amongst many other things, I am an avid reader. I love a good story with a little drama, maybe some hidden family secrets, a forbidden romance- you name it, I read it! Earlier this month I tried something a little different- the Kindle app. I didn't think for a second that I would like it. I am a book person and technology, in my opinion, had no place in a good book. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved the app and in just days I had filled it with countless free book downloads.

After reading many, starting just as many and deleting them when I discovered I didn't like them, and even purchasing a few sequels, I have finished the month with nearly 20 books under my belt (Did I forget to mention that I am also a speed reader?) and decided that I would share my favs with all you :) 



At the top of my list of favs is the trilogy: At Any Price, At Any Turn and At Any Moment (Gaming the System Series- Brenna Aubrey)


I downloaded the first book in the series for free on Amazon and just had to purchase the other 2 in the series when I had finished. 


At Any Price (Book 1)
When Mia Strong, proud geek-girl and popular gaming blogger, auctions off her virginity online, she knows she'll make waves. But what she will not be making is a love connection. Her rules are set in stone: One night. No further contact.


It's a desperate step, but it's the only way she can go to medical school and pay her mother's mounting hospital bills.

Adam Drake, the enigmatic auction winner, is a software prodigy who made his first million at seventeen. Now, in his mid-twenties, he's sexy, driven and--as CEO of his own gaming company--he's used to making the rules. Before Mia knows what's happening, he's found the loophole in the rules of her auction. Every stipulation she's made to protect her heart gets tossed by the wayside.


                                      She can't tell if he's playing her...or if he's playing for keeps.


At Any Turn (Book 2)

Millionaire CEO Adam Drake, overcame a tortured past to build his own gaming empire. He’s in complete control of his life. With his new found love for brilliant geek girl blogger, Mia Strong, the last piece of his life is in place. He's at the top of his game. 

Until suddenly, she withdraws from him, leaving him in the dark. Something tells him she needs help. But she's too stubborn or scared to ask for it, and the more he tries to take control, the further he pushes her away. He can’t solve this problem by writing a check or a few lines of code.

He’ll have to dig deep and put himself at risk…or risk losing her forever.

At Any Moment (Book 3)

Mia Strong never expected to be deciding the rest of her life at age twenty-two. Is she willing to become a human lab rat? Does she need to write a will? Does she ever want a family--and if so, with whom? She can't dodge the tough questions--not if she plans to live to see twenty-three. With her life hanging in the balance, Mia wants nothing more than to rely on Adam Drake, but he’s hurt her before.

Adam Drake knows that he's made mistakes, but when he discovers what Mia's facing, he realizes how much those mistakes could cost him. Now he has to choose between being the man who can save Mia's life or the man she can love. No matter how much it tears him apart, Adam knows he has to put Mia first...even if it means he's out of the picture entirely.

                                      Will their love survive this epic battle or is it game over?

This series has the emotional pull that I like in a love story and hot and steamy romance that every great love story should have. All in all, it was a great series of books (for under $10 I might add) and I have it archived in my Kindle library to read again someday. 

Second on my list of favs was.....

A Long Goodbye by Kelly Mooney. 
Unable to pretend to be the perfect daughter, marry the perfect Southern gentleman, and have perfect babies like her overprotective father expects her to, Ashton Winslow and her best friend, LuLuBelle set out on a two-week vacation to change all that.

Two weeks of freedom is exactly what she craves and needs. Ashton is tired of being told she's perfect, and tired of pretending to be someone she isn't. She wants to reinvent herself, if only for a short time and she hopes Nashville is the place to do it. Preferably with a smooth talking cowboy.

With no one watching her every move, or so she thinks, Ashton finds the one person who finally sees her for the woman she wants to be.

Dane Woods has just come home from fighting overseas after losing his best friend. Everyone, including himself expects him to reenlist for another tour, but he can't break a promise he made to his dying friend.

The last thing Dane has on his mind while tailing a Southern Princess like Ashton Winslow is falling in love. She's supposed to be two week job, but it turns into so much more.

Will Dane risk everything to be with Ashton or will his lies and betrayal destroy her love for him?
 


This book took me a couple of chapters to decide if I liked it or not, whereas I can normally tell within the first few pages. However, by the end of chapter 3 I was hooked, and had a slight crush on Dane myself :) 

Last, but not least, on my list of this months fav books is....

All For Anna by Nicole Deese 
If guilt is a prison; Victoria Sales has given herself a life sentence.

Held captive by regret, 23 year-old trauma RN, Tori Sales, has seen the reality of many nightmares. But there is one nightmare she will never wake from—her last memory of Anna. 


Her efforts to save the little girl were not enough; she was not enough.
After a year of living alone, Tori is forced to return home—a place where heartache, loss, and broken relationships lurk around every corner. Isolation is her only solace; running is her only escape.


But she cannot outrun the truth forever.


When a handsome, compassionate stranger enters her world, Tori is inspired to deal with her past and focus on the future—one she never believed possible. But before her quest for closure is complete, a new revelation surfaces, tainting her world yet again.
Will she accept the recovery she so desperately needs? Or will she choose the escape she knows best...



This book was a tear jerker at times, but very touching, and unlike the previous books on my list of favs, it had none of the steamy "Adults Only" scenes. It was simply a heart warming story of love, loss, and regret. A beautiful novel! 

And that concludes my list of this months favourite books! Thanks to www.goodreads.com for the synopsis, and to www.amazon.ca for their awesome free ebooks! 

                                                               Until Next time.....





No comments:

Post a Comment